NR 326 MENTAL HEALTH A – Broward College
1) A nurse is teaching a client who has schizophrenia about her new prescription for risperidone. Which of th... [Show More] e following statements should the nurse include in the teaching?
a. “You should continue this medication if you develop muscle rigidity”.
b. “You will experience weight loss while taking this medication.”
c. “You will notice your symptoms improve within 24 hours of taking this medication.”
d. “You should increase your consumption of complex carbohydrates.”
2) A nurse is admitting a client who has generalized anxiety disorder. Which of the following actions should the nurse plan to take first?
a. Provide the client with a quiet environment
b. Determine how the client handles stress.
c. Teach the client to use guided imagery.
d. Ask the client to identify her strengths
3) A nurse is conducting an admission interview with a client who is experiencing mania. Which of the following should the nurse report to the provider?
a. States that he hasn’t bathed in 2 days
b. Reports eating twice in the past two weeks.
c. Makes inappropriate sexual comments.
d. Speaks in rhyming sentences.
4) A nurse is planning care for a client who has obsessive-compulsive disorder. Which of the following recommendation should the nurse include in the clients plan of care?
a. Validation therapy
b. Thought stopping
c. Operant conditioning
d. Reality orientation therapy
5) A nurse is caring for a client who has bipolar disorder and is experiencing a manic episode. Which of the following actions should the nurse take?
a. Encourage the client to join group activities
b. Dim the lights in the clients room
c. Provide detailed explanations to the client
d. Administer methylphenidate
6) A nurse is leading a crisis intervention group for adolescents who witnessed the suicide of a classmate. Which of the following actions should the nurse take first.
a. Initiate referrals
b. Review community resources
c. Identify prior coping skills
d. Discuss the importance of confidentiality
7) A nurse overhears a client saying, "I am a spy, a spy for the FBI. I am an I, an eye for an eye in the sky. Sky is up high." The nurse should document the client's statement as which of the following speech alterations?
b. Word salad
d. Clang association
8) An older adult client is brought to the mental health clinic by her daughter. The daughter reports that her mother is not eating and seems uninterested in routine activities. The daughter states "I'm so worried that my mother is depressed" which of the following responses should the nurse make? [Show Less]