Sophia - Environmental Science - Unit 1 Challenge 3
1 — The Impact of Population Growth: Environmental Effects
Identify environmental effects associate... [Show More] d with given impacts of human population growth.
An increased need for water has resulted in __________.
• a.) over-reliance on government agencies
• b.) depletion of non-renewable fuel sources
• c.) multiplied species populations
• d.) freshwater and groundwater pollution
2 — The Impact of Population Growth: Projections
Recognize human population growth projections for 2050.
If we maintain exponential growth, the 2050 population will be _________.
• a.) 6.8 billion
• b.) 7.4 billion
• c.) 10 billion
• d.) 8.9 billion
3 — Biodiversity
Differentiate between the types of ecosystem services
Which of the following is an example of cultural services?
• a.) Photosynthesis
• b.) Tourism
• c.) Pollination
• d.) Gasoline
4 — Sustainability
Identify environmental issues that were discussed in the Brundtland report.
Which of the following elements was NOT an area of discussion relative to sustainability in the Brundtland Report?
• a.) Use of resources
• b.) Pollution
• c.) Clean water
• d.) Biodiversity
5 — Ethics and Stewardship
Determine the focus of the different types of environmental ethical positions.
Which of the following best describes a biocentric position?
• a.) Felix feels the same moral responsibility for his neighbors as he does his pets.
• b.) Arthur cuts down trees to build a log cabin for weekend retreats.
• c.) Gilbert eats plants, dairy products and fish, but he doesn’t eat meat.
• d.) Aldo Leopold believed that humans should co-exist with nature, not try to conquer it.
6 — Time, Scale, and Impact
Recognize the scale of impact on environmental issues.
A single pollutant can have many levels of impact on the environment.
Aggravated asthma in infants describes the effect of this environmental issue experienced at the __________ level.
• a.) regional
• b.) local
• c.) individual
• d.) global [Show Less]