NURSING 200 HESI Fundamentals Answer and Questions
1. Native American with nausea and abdominal pain. Answer: Check home remedies
2. Patient exercises f... [Show More] or 2 weeks, but still has trouble falling asleep and takes about an hour to fall asleep. Answer: Ask what type of exercise he is doing.
3. When removing gauze dressing, you notice redness. Answer: Use cotton and silk.
4. The nurse applies firm pressure on Dorsalis Tibialis for pulse but does not feel a pulse. Answer: Apply less pressure
5. Which blood pressure cuff is of most important on which patient? Answer: Patient with a BMI of 15.
6. The patient has Right-Sided Hemiplegia from (CVA) Cerebral Vascular Accident or stroke. What action should the nurse do to help patients move from bed to wheelchair? Answer: left-side on the wheelchair (rationale: the patient must use their unaffected side to support themselves on to the wheelchair)
7. The patient is concerned with their bedpan. Orders are to get up and move to the chair 3 times a day. What does the nurse do to find urinary incontinence? Answer: Scan the bladder.
8. A 24-hour urine collection. The client tells the nurse that the last voiding was in the urinal. What interventions should the nurse initiate? Answer: wait for the next void.
9. Picture: Patient has bilateral adduction and leg contracture. How does the nurse position the patient to insert an indwelling catheter inside of her meatus? Answer: the image of the woman lying on her side.
10. Which patient is most likely to have a nosocomial infection? Answer: Cancer patient receiving immunosuppressant medication.
11. The patient placed on a liquid oral diet with a diagnosis of “oral mouth imbalance.” Which liquid diet is appropriate? Answer: Ensure, liquid supplemental diet
12. Select All that Apply: Patient is walking down the hallway with the UAP. The nurse instructs the UAP to
a. *Report dizziness
b. *Assist with voiding
c. *Take blood pressure measurements before walking.
13. Son is 18-year old. Mother demands Lab values now. What is the nurse’s best response? Answer: “Sorry, I cannot give you his results because he is an adult.”
14. Picture: Nurse wants to finish range of motion exercise with pronation and supination hand motions. What is the next nursing action? Answer: Turn the arm.
15. Picture + Select all that apply: Nurse is cleaning out nasotracheal suction. When should the nurse stop suctioning? Answer:
a. *Cyanotic lips
16. Weight counseling consultant for an overweight patient. Which patient requires consulting for weight counseling? Answer: Bmi over 35.
17. The nurse is assisting the doctor. Answer: To keep sterile field, the nurse should pour a little bit of sterile water.
18. Nurse wants to encourage learning environment and participation in a group. What is the best way to promote engagement? Answer: …Simulation is the keyword…
19. Nurse observes nursing assistive personnel giving the patient a bed bath and has the patients foot soaked in the basin of water. What should the nurse instruct the nursing assistive personnel to do? Dry the water between the toes (because of skin breakdown)
20. The patient is practicing diaphragmatic breathing, which is the proper way? Inhale and have the diaphragm “sink in” during exhaling (“sink in” are the main words in the answer)
21. Three different patients are requesting pain meds from the meds at the same time. What should the nurse ask the patients? Rate your pain on a pain scale
22. Patient with Nasal Cannula 3L and 93% O2. Cheekbone was red. What should the nurse do? Put paddings around the Cannula
23. The patient is alert and told the nurse that he does not want “heroic actions.” Ask what is your definition of heroic action?
24. What is the patient’s outcome goal for pain? Patient 5 points down from 1 to 10.
25. Patient potassium level is 2.5. Answer: Pulse and Heart Rhythm
26. Patient orders for meds are 1200mg divided 3 times throughout the day. There are 400 mg per 1 capsule. How many capsules does this patient take per dose? Answer: 1 capsule
a. 1200mg divided by 3 equals 400 mg. 1 capsule is equal to 400 mg.
That means, 1 capsule is used for each dose.
27. The nurse saw Fire in the bathroom in an empty room and immediately reports. What should the nurse do next? Answer: Close the bathroom door and empty the room.
28. An older adult woman had sex which caused vagina tears = teach healthy or good/safe sex methods
29. 28. To assess the quality of an adult client's pain, what approach should the nurse use? Answer: ask the client to describe the pain [Show Less]