Mental Health Nursing Exam Questions with solutions
When was the Virginia colony for the epileptic and feebleminded?
What was the eugenical st... [Show More] erilization act and when was it founded?
This law, passed in 1924, was passed to protect physicians who performed involuntary sterilizing operations, founded on the idea that defective persons and their offspring were a menace to society
Who was the first person in Virginia to be sterilized?
What did the surgeon general's report on mental health say?
MH is fundamental and there are effective treatments for mental health illnesses (1999)
What is the recovery model?
- Released by the SAMHSA in 2005
- Social Model of Disability and identifies systemic barriers, negative attitudes, isolation and exclusion by society as main contributory factors in disabling people.
- Shifts focus from illness to one of rehab and recovery
- Emerged as a result of deinstitutionalization
- Goal is empowerment to maximize abilities.
- Holistic interventions to assist in recovery
- Recovery is evidenced by: work, community/social life (relationships), reduction of symptoms
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, founded in 1992
What are the 10 components of the recovery model?
3. Person Driven
5. Many Pathways
10. Peer Support
What is mental health?
When an individual realizes own potential, can cope with the normal stressors of life, work productively, and contribute to the community
What is mental illness?
Medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others & daily functioning
-often result in diminished capacity for coping
-HAVE A MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS
What is psychiatry?
A discipline that encompasses diagnosis and treatment of individuals with mental illness
stands for Quality and Safety Education for Nurses, a project for preparing future nurses with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes (KSAs) necessary to continuously improve the quality and safety of the health care systems within which they work
Teamwork and Collaboration
Informatics [Show Less]