HESI A2 FILES
English Grammar/Vocabulary File:
Grammar Test 1:
Select the word or phrase that makes the sentence grammatically correct.
1. A tubercul... [Show More] in skin test should be read within 24 hrs.
2. The student for the final exam.
a. Didn¶t stXdied
b. Was studying
c. Studied hardly
d. Would have study
3. My mother and went shopping for clothes yesterday.
4. She went to the party her dislike for the host.
b. Even though
c. Despite of
d. In spite of
5. The accident if the motorist had obeyed the speed limit sign.
a. Never would have happened
b. Never would happen
c. Never happened
d. Would happen never
6. She was so mad at her boyfriend, she on him when he called.
b. Hung Up
d. Hang up
7. are very ancient people.
a. The chineses
c. The Chinese
8. If they that the Zeather Zas going to be so bad, the wouldnt have gone to the beach.
a. Had known
b. Were knowing
9. John Kennedy was a senator before he President in 1960.
a. Was electing
c. Had elected
d. Was elected
10. It is required that he the payment immediately.
11. He tried to remember that names of all the people were there that night.
12.A synonym is a word a meaning similar to another word.
a. Who have
b. That have
c. Who is having
13. After having robbed the bank, .
a. The back president offered a reward for the thief.
b. The thief¶s Zife became Yer\ nerYoXs.
c. The police searched for the thief from many weeks.
d. The thief hid at the house of a friend.
Select the word or phrase in the sentence that is not used correctly.
1) After the policeman had ran for several miles, he finally caught up with the man who had stolen the purse.
a) Had ran
b) Several miles
d) Up with
2) The man’s heart attack scared him badly and he decided having a regular check-up from then on.
3) Based on the principals of asepsis, the nurse should consider a sterile packet below waist level to be contaminated.
a) To be
4) I will call you when I will get back from visiting my sister.
d) Will get
5) Her mother asked her what would she do after she graduated from college.
6) When you add sugar to it, your cup of coffee becomes not only sweet, also fattening.
d) Cup of
7) The sales man recommended that he keeps his receipt for at least a month.
d) At least
Which of the following is incorrect? (8- 20)
8) It seem like the sun never shines on Saturday.
9) Of the many people what she interviewed; she chose the one with most experience.
d) Of the
10) Long before his death, Pablo Picasso had became one of the most important artists in history.
b) Long before
c) Had became
d) The most
11) The physician started to preform the operation, but the patient was not yet completely under anesthesia.
a) Started to
c) Was not
d) Completely under
12) Before his death at age 82, comedian Rodney Dangerfield’s motto was, I don’t get no respect. ́
13) The mailperson’s job is to put the envelope’s in ever mailbox on the block.
14) The charge nurse overheard the nursing assistant discussing the private details of a client medical condition with personnel friend in the hospital cafeteria.
15) The car that he had seen at the Ford dealer was the one that he final decided to buy.
b) Had seen
c) To buy
16) He had already finished studying at an university when he was called
to join the army.
a) Was called
c) Had already
17) The nurse asked the patient to choose ate items from the menu that are his favorites.
a) Ate items
b) To choose
c) His favorites
d) That are
18) He ate for pieces of fried chicken at dinner, and no vegetables.
19) The most important things in my life are making money, traveling abroad, and to live well.
b) To live
c) The most
20) It’s true that children depend in their parents for food, clothing and
21) Identify the dependent clause in this sentence: The mother dog left her bed as soon as the puppies were asleep.
a) As soon as the puppies were asleep
b) Left her bed as soon as
c) The puppies were asleep
d) The mother dog left her bed
22) Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a) Somebody left his or her jacket on the train
b) Several lost his or her keys on this train ride.
c) Does everyone have their train tickets ready?
d) Is everyone ready for their ice cream sundaes?
23) Identify the incomplete sentence.
a) He wept.
b) Everything worked out all night.
c) While they were sleeping.
d) Babies are sure cute and cuddly.
24) Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a) The dog catches the Frisbee good.
b) The band did good during the half time show.
c) Sarah plays her new saxophone well.
d) The band that played before ours was well.
25) Select the sentence in which legal is used as an adjective.
a) It is legal to were green on March 17th.
b) He did not know that jaywalking was not legal.
c) It is not legal to jaywalk
d) He is a legal resident of the United States.
26) What sentence should replace the following incorrect sentence? 3This door to remain unlocked when occupied. ́
a) This door to remain unclosed while open.
b) This office must have the door unlocked at all times.
c) This door will remain unlocked when office is occupied.
d) This sentence is correct as written.
27) Which word is used incorrectly? Which procedure for giving injections were explained thoroughly to the student nurses.
28) Which phrase should be moved to the end of the sentence? The painter decided to use the urn as his subject with flowers on the table.
a) With flowers
b) The urn
c) The painter decided
d) As his subject
29) Select the sentence in which snake is used as a verb.
a) The cobra is venomous snake.
b) The spy had to snake his way furtively onto the train.
c) The plumber used his snake to open up the clogged pipe.
d) You are being a snake when you steal from me.
30) Which sentence is grammatically correct?
a) Gosh, I be odering a V-8!
b) Gosh, I coulda had a V-8!
c) Gosh, I could have had a V-8! (correct also)
d) Gosh, I should have ordered a V-8!
31) In which sentence is the form fast used as an adverb?
a) The fast car drove over the bridge.
b) The batter could not hit the fast pitch
c) The clock on the wall is 10 minutes fast.
d) The cars on the overpass moved fast.
Grammar Test 2:
14. He was by her kind words.
15. Which of the following sentences is grammatically incorrect?
A. He performed well on the test
B. He performed good on the test
C. He performed poorly on the test
D. He performed adequately on the test
16. In the following sentence, which is the dependent clause?
A. We played
B. Then we had dinner
C. While we waited
D. A game
17. Which of the following sentences is grammatically
correct? “Farther refers to physical distance vs Further refers to an extension of time or degree:
A. She drove much farther than I did
B. The campus is further up the road
C. I will have to consider farther before making a decision
D. The hospital was further away than he thought 18.Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence.
He thought it was than 3 miles to the hospital
19. The patient wanted to down on the bed, but first she had to her try of food on the table.
A. Lie, lay
B. Lay, lie
C. Lie, laid
D. Lain, lying
20. Which word from the following sentence is a noun? The bird flew across the blue sky.
21. Which word in the following sentence is a
The little girl wanted a cookie, but she didn’t take one.
22. Which of the following is a direct object? (affected by the verb)
The nurse helped the patient with the medication
23. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A. Walking home from class, the students watched the snow begin to fall.
B. Walking home from class, the snow began falling on the students
C. Walking home from class, snow fell on the students.
D. Walking home from class, the students watched the snow fell.
24. The student sang well, but she danced
25. Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence:
The college he chose is in New York
26. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A. I wanted ice cream; he wanted cake.
B. I wanted ice cream he wanted cake
C. I wanted ice cream, he wanted cake.
D. I wanted ice cream but he wanted cake.
27. Not only the students but also the professor stunned by the test results.
28. The pack of wolves running through the forest
29. Which word in the following sentence is grammatically incorrect?
Dr. Jones, who all the patients like, plays the piano well.
30. Select the sentence that is grammatically correct?
A. The nurse spoke to my sister and I about our Mother’s condition
B. The nurse spoke to my sister and me about our Mother’s condition
C. The nurse spoke to me and my sister about our Mother’s condition
D. The nurse spoke to I and my sister about our Mother’s condition
31. Select the word or phrase in the sentence that is not used correctly:
The data confirms that the patient is suffering from extreme anxiety, and a tranquilizing medication is immediately required.
A. Extreme anxiety
32. Select the best word for the blank in the following sentence:
I will that chart to the patient’s room later today.
33. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?
A. The patient and the nurse knew he could walk
B. While the patient was walking
C. The patient, the nurse and the doctor were walking.
D. Because the patient could walk, he was allowed to leave his room.
34. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct? (misplaced modifier).
A. The child’s torn shirt was laying on the floor
B. The torn child’s shirt was laying on the floor
C. The child’s shirt was laying on the floor torn
D. The child’s shirt torn was laying on the floor 35.What word is used incorrectly in this sentence? The six students in the class discussed the test results between themselves
An apartment is advertised as being furnished. What does this mean?
a. The first month’s rent must be paid in advance
b. It is equipped with articles
c. It has just been repainted
d. The utility bills are included in the rental cost.
Select the meaning of the underlined word in this sentence
2. The instructions were concise.
b. Hard to understand
c. To the point
d. Easy to understand
3. This is an ominous sign.
a. Without deceit
b. A good omen
d. Full of though
4. The client lost his equilibrium when he woke up.
a. Ability to sallow
b. Sense of balance
c. Ability to speak
d. Sense of taste
5. The doctor tried to explain the fundamental difference of the two medications.
6. The nurse assisted the physician in removing the cast from the Patient’s arm.
a. Protective device
c. Medicated salve
7. The nurse was asked to record the residual urine in the patient’s bladder.
a. Total volume
c. Color and clarity
d. What is left
8. The patient’s tremors ceased when the medication was administrated.
9. The dietician instructed the patient to supplement her diet.
b. Add to
10.A mother called her healthcare provider to report she had discovered a node on her child’s upper arm?
a. A small rounded mass
b. Oozing blood
c. A blister
d. A reddened area
11. The nurse reported that patient’s circulation to that foot was occluded.
12. The doctor wanted to ensure adequate pain relief for the patient.
13. My grandmother used to tell me, “Anything in excess can be a sin. ́
a. Creating a nuisance
b. More than is needed
c. Not allowed
14. Recovery is contingent on many factors.
15. When something is diluted, what is the outcome?
a. Decreases the temperature
b. Makes it weaker
c. Combines with an acid
d. Creates a sterile field
16. The healthcare provider gave the patient a comprehensive examination.
17. The drug’s purpose Was to suppress the coughing instinct.
18. The medication was intended to constrict the pupils.
a. Make smaller
d. Make bigger
19. Which word means to place under observation?
20. The client appeared to be impervious to pain.
a. Coping well
c. Very sensitive
d. Not affected
21. His deteriorating condition caused the nurse to call the doctor.
22. The topic of discussion prompted a cornucopia of stimulating questions and conversation.
23. The medication must adhere to the patient’s skin to be effective.
24. The drizzling, cool rain felt exhilarating, especially after long, sun- scorching drought.
25. He complained of the adverse side effect of his new medication.
26. The flaccid nature of his handshake caused the nurse to look up at him.
27. The doctor instructed the patient to keep his head elevated.
c. Thrown back
28. The impending operation was the subject of the conversation.
a. Very serious
b. Soon to occur
29. Inoculation is the preferred way to deal with flu epidemic.
30. Which word means to suggest, to hint, to express indirectly?
31. As the leader of group, the charge nurse is open to new ideas and thoughts of the group. The charge nurse encourages the group to participate in making decisions. This type of leadership is called
32. Which word describes someone who is always the last to get ready?
d. Lethargic - sluggish
Choose the correct word to use in the black.
33. Of thinking does not allow a professor to consider another point of view.
d. Rigidity- inability to be bent
34. The student was not well liked by his peers.
35. There was no for the way she treated her boyfriend.
36. The number of people from other countries to the United States has caused a shift in unemployment in the textile market.
37. In the United States, drivers drive cars on the
a. Right side
38. Which word denotes the description of events in the order of their occurrence?
39. What word means 3a system procedure to follow ?́
40. Which word is used to denote a comparison?
41.A person who is said to be “very sensible “ is likely to posses which characteristic?
a. A reasonable understanding
b. Nostalgia about object
c. Easily gets feelings hurt
d. A deficiency in moral concerns
42.High blood pressure, or hypertension, typically has an insidious onset. What does the term insidious indicate?
a. No obvious symptoms of a disease.
b. Readily observable symptoms of illness
c. Acute symptoms lasting 24 hours
d. Vague complaints of being tired.
43.A patient is scheduled for exploratory surgery. What does exploratory means?
a. To reduce scar tissue in the are
b. To investigate the patient’s complaint
c. To extract a diseased organ
d. To repair a torn ligament or vessel.
44. If you were asked for a receipt, what would you give the person?
a. A recollection of the recent events
b. A written acknowledgement for goods
c. A check for the correct amount
d. a list of items needed to bake a cake.
45. Which word refers to a team caption’s exaggerated claims about the amount of goals he or she scored during the game?
c. Hyperbole- lie or exaggerater
46. Which word describes what a cat, who is clearly scared of a Rottweiler, will do when the dog enters the room?
a. Cower- to shrink away for shelter
47. Which word means to banish, to shut out, or to exclude?
48. Which word is descriptive of small child just learning to walk?
49. What does the word Feasible means?
50. What is the best description for the word “therapeutic”
51. Compensatory is best described as
A. Corrective- intended to correct
52. In what appeared to be a paroxysmal reaction, the medication only seemed to make the patient’s spasms worse.
1. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
After rapidly consume that enormous meal, he felt a bit dyspeptic.
2. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct?
Dr. Abrams came here from England he has only been in Delaware for one year.
3. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct.
Few students were able to complete the assignment in the allotted time; , the professor gave them an
additional week in which to do the work.
B. in fact
4. What word is best to substitute for the underlined words in the following sentence?
You can hear the nurses' laughter all the way down the hallway.
5. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
Moving stealthy, the sneaky little boy reached up for the cookie jar on the topmost shelf.
6. Which sentence is correct?
A. I saw the criminals who were arrested on the TV news.
B. I saw the criminals on the TV news who were arrested.
C. On the TV news, the criminals who were arrested were seen by me.
D. On the TV news, I saw the criminals who were arrested.
7. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of the sentence? Our mayer made a proclamation declaring that all citizens must recycle.
8. Select the word or phrase that will make the sentence grammatically correct. Jennifer must been confused by the complicated directions.
9. Which of following is spelled correctly?
10. Select the phrase or clause that is misplaced in the sentence.
Accompanied by toast, Jake enjoyed his farm-fresh eggs and sweet-tasting grits.
A. Accompanied by toast
B. Jake enjoyed
C. farm-fresh eggs
D. sweet-tasting grits
11. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct.
After the course, the nursing students will take a short practicum.
C. having finish
D. will finish
12. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct? "Please dont be afraid to ask questions," she assured us politely.
B. Quotation marks
13. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of this sentence?
The pharmacist seemed to disagree with the proscription designated by the physician.
14. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct?
“Have you finished reading the lab results so we can schedule an appointment with the patient”
B. Question mark
15. Which of the following is spelled correctly?
16. Which sentence is grammatically correct?
A. The new employees watched a short training file following a session with the hospital administrator.
B. A session with the hospital administrator was followed by a short training film by the new employees.
C. Following a session with the hospital administrator, a short training film was watched by the new
D. Following a session with the hospital administrator, the employees watched a short training film.
17. Which word is spelled correctly?
18. Select the phrase or clause that is misplaced in the sentence.
I did not see the open carton of orange juice on the shelf standing with the refrigerator door open.
A. I did not see
B. of orange juice
C. on the self
D. standing with the refrigerator door open
19. Select the word or phrase that will make the sentence grammatically correct. Do not be afraid to consult your peers.
20. Which sentence is clearest?
A. The was hot and made of tomatoes; Dan burned his tongue and gulped some cold water.
B. After burning his tongue on the hot tomato soup, Dan gulped some cold water.
C. Dan gulped some cold water when the tomato soup that was hot burned his tongue.
D. Gulping some cold water, Dan burned his tongue on the hot tomato soup.
21. Which word is spelled correctly?
22. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence? Exercising excessively can have significant nugatory effects.
C. nugatory- no value or importance
23. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct. The committee finished report in time for the annual review.
24. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct? Courtney ran around the track and her roommates kept trace of her time.
25. Which of the following is spelled correctly?
26. Select the correct word for the blank in the following sentence. We were not sure to we should give the paperwork.
A. who-I we he she it they = subjective
C. whom- me us him her , them = objective
27. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct?
Mrs. Alvarez showed us three possibilities for the anteroom walls flowered wallpaper, striped wallpaper, or
28. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct.
Having one pill at bedtime, the patient was able to sleep for eight hours.
29. Which sentence is grammatically correct?
A. Tapping the beat, Ms. Schuster led the chorus in song.
B. Ms. Schuster led the chorus in song tapping the beat.
C. Ms. Schuster led the chorus, tapping the beat, in song.
D. Tapping the beat, the chorus was led in song by Ms. Schuster.
30. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct. One out of the four doctors to this plan.
D. are subscribed
31. Which of the following words is spelled correctly?
32. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct?
I did not entirely understand his instructions; nevertheless I attempted to hook up that computer on my own.
33. Select the correct word for the blank in the following sentence. We never been trained in that particular procedure.
34. Which sentence is written correctly?
A. When he told you to mark his words did you assume he meant that you should pay attention?
B. When he told you to "mark his words" did you assume he meant that you should pay attention?
C. When he told you to "mark his words" did you assume he meant that "you should pay attention"?
D. When he told you to mark his words, did you assume he meant that you should pay attention.
35. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
The couple is extraordinarily gifted, and their prodigy have benefited from the brainpower of their forebears.
36. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of the sentence? Nothing can be more delightful then a late-night swim in the reservoir?
37. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct? Although we had met earlier the busy doctor could not recall my name.
B. Question mark
38. Which of the following is spelled correctly?
39. Which sentence is written correctly?
A. Rebecca has read that novel twenty times, astonishingly, she still finds it entertaining.
B. Rebecca has that novel twenty times; astonishingly, she still finds it entertaining.
C. Rebecca has read that novel twenty times astonishingly; she still finds it entertaining.
D. Rebecca has read that novel twenty times, astonishingly she still finds it entertaining.
40. Which sentence is the clearest?
A. The geese were flying south in a V formation with hikers on the mountain spotting them.
B. As the geese flew south, hikers were on the mountain, spotting the geese in a V formation.
C. Hikers on the mountain spotted geese flying south in a V formation.
D. In a V formation, geese flying south spotted hikers on the mountain.
41. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
The professor was formally an intern in this very hospital back in the 1980s.
42. Select the correct word for the blank in the following sentence.
The children and performed a skit for the elderly patients.
43. Select the sentence that is grammatically correct.
A. The office of finances had sent him a message reminding him to pay his tuition bill.
B. The office of finances send him a message reminding him to pay his tuition bill.
C. The office of finances have sent him a message reminding him to pay his tuition bill.
D. The office of finances sent him a message reminds him to pay his tuition bill.
44. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct. If you will down here, the doctor will check your flexibility.
45. Which of the following spelled correctly?
46. Which sentence is written correctly?
A. Since completing the technical course Jasper has had several offers.
B. Since completing the technical course, Jasper has had several offers.
C. Since completing, the technical course, Jasper has had several offers.
D. Since completing the technical course; Jasper has had several offers.
47. Select the word or phrase that makes this sentence grammatically correct. There is a fountain the driveway and the main entrance.
C. by way of
D. in conjunction with
48. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
The doctor's spear of influence includes most people working in the disciplines of neurology and pain
49. Which of the following words is spelled correctly?
50. Which sentence is written correctly?
A. Maria has an unusual background, she started off as a student of geology.
B. Maria has an unusual background; she started off as a student of geology.
C. Maria has an unusual background she started off as a student of geology.
D. Maria has an unusual background: she started off as a student of geology.
51. Select the phrase that will make this sentence grammatically correct. Until the semester ends, Lily .
A. is not traveling far from town
B. has not traveled far from town
C. will not have traveled far from town
D. will not travel far from town
52. Which word is not spelled correctly in the context of the sentence? The ingenuous foxes managed to lever open one side of the coop.
53. Select the word that will make this sentence grammatically correct.
You will need to choose courses in biology, chemistry, and anatomy.
A. between- 2 things= one on one relastionship
● C. among= when referring to indistinct or nonspecific relationships.
54. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence?
Jeremiah seemed enthusiastically when we reported on our astonishing success.
55. Select the sentence that is grammatically correct.
A. Kindly hand the keys over to him and me.
B. Kindly hand the keys over to him and I.
C. Kindly hand the keys over to me and him.
D. Kindly hand the keys over to he and I.
56. What word is best to substitute for the underlined word in the following sentence?
Could Kendra manage to carry both Kendra's books and yours?
57. Which of the following words is spelled correctly?
58. What punctuation is needed in this sentence to make it correct? “Follow my lead I have been performing this procedure for years.”
C. Question mark
59. Select the phrase that will make this sentence grammatically correct. When the lecture was over, two students .
A. raise their hands to ask questions
B. raised their hands to ask questions
C. have raised their hands to ask questions
D. are raising their hands to ask questions
60. Which word is used incorrectly in the following sentence? He received an oral dose initial, followed by and IV drip.
61. Select the sentence that is grammatically correct.
A. Having replaced the broken glass, the window looked as good as new.
B. After the broken glass was replaced, the window looked as good as new.
C. Following the broken glass replacement, the window looked good as new.
D. After we replaced the broken glass, the window looked good as new.
62. Select the word that makes this sentence grammatically correct. She was the speaker I had ever heard in my years at the clinic. x inspirational
x more inspirational x most inspirational
x most inspriationalest
63. Which of the following words is spelled correctly?
D. Debonair- confident, stylish, and charming
64. What punctuation is needed to make this sentence correct?
Jacob was delighted to be bumped up to the first class cabin on the overseas flight.
65. Which sentence is written correctly?
A. "Is our state's per-capita Medicare spending in line with the national average," he asked?
B. "Is our state's per-capita Medicare spending in line with the national average?" He asked.
C. "Is our state's per-capita Medicare spending in line with the national average"? he asked.
D. "Is our state's per-capita Medicare spending in line with the national average?" he asked. [Show Less]