ATI Nutrition Proctored, Questions and Answers. Latest 2020/2021. 1. A nurse is providing dietary teaching to a client who has a new diagnosis of gastroeso... [Show More] phageal reflux disease. Which of the following foods or beverages should the nurse recommended to minimize heartburn?
• Orange juice
• Decaffeinated coffee
2. A nurse is preparing g to teach a group of clients about vitamins and minerals. The nurse should include in the teaching that which of the following minerals is necessary for the transmission of nerve impulses?
3. A nurse is caring for a client who has a body mass index (BMI) of 30. Four weeks after nutritional counseling, which of the following evaluation findings indicates the plan of care was followed?
• BMI of 25
• Weight gain of 1.8kg
• BMI of 33
• Weight loss of 2.7kg
4. A nurse is caring for a client who follows the dietary laws of Orthodox Judaism. Which of the following meal choices should the nurse request for the client?
• Turkey and cheese sandwich
• Spaghetti with tomato sauce
• Pork chop and applesauce
• Scrambled eggs and bacon
5. A nurse is a long-term care facility is developing strategies to promote increased food intake for an older adult client. Which of the following interventions should the nurse implement?
• Offer sugar substitutes to increase the client’s appetite.
• Provide opportunities to eat three large meals per day.
• Provide entertainment while the client is eating.
• Offer finger foods at mealtime.
6. A nurse is caring for four clients. The nurse should plan to administer total parenteral nutrition for which of the following clients?
• A client who is postoperative following a laminectomy and is receiving IV PCA
• A client who has dysphagia and does not recognize his family
• A client who has COPD and is going home with oxygen
• A client who has colon cancer and will undergo a hemicolectomy
7. A nurse is performing a nutritional evaluation for a client who reports paresthesia of the hands and feet. The nurse should identify this manifestation as an indication of which of the following dietary deficiencies?
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin B12
8. A nurse is caring for a client who reports she is having difficulty losing weight. Which of the following responses by the nurse is appropriate?
• Eat small portions of the high-calorie foods first.
• Set a goal and you will be able to attain it.
• It is helpful to self-monitor your eating.
• Taste food while cooking to help curb your appetite.
9. A nurse is providing discharge teaching about food choices to a client who has hypokalemia. Which of the following foods should the nurse identify as the best source of potassium?
• 1 cup grapes
• 1 cup shredded lettuce
• 1 cup cooked tomatoes
• 1 cup apple slices
10. A nurse is providing teaching to an obese client who has gestational diabetes and is at 25 weeks of gestation. Which of the following statements made by the client indicates a need for further teaching?
• This does not mean that my baby will have this disease.
• This means that I will have diabetes for the rest of my life.
• If I feel dizzy, I should drink six ounces of a non-diet soda.
• Being obese might be one reason why I developed diabetes.
11. A nurse is planning care for a client who has ascites secondary to liver disease. Which of the following interventions should the nurse include in the plan of care?
• Reduce complex carbohydrates to 30% of total calories.
• Restrict protein intake to less than 0.8 g/kg/day.
• Decrease daily caloric intake by 20%.
• Limit sodium to 2000 mg or less per day.
12. A nurse is planning eating strategies with a client who has nausea from equilibrium imbalance. Which of the following strategies should the nurse recommend?
• Encourage the client to eat even if nauseated.
• Provide low-fat carbohydrates with meals.
• Limit fluid intake between meals.
• Serve hot foods at mealtime.
13. A nurse is discussing denture care with the partner of a client who is unable to perform oral hygiene. Which of the following should be included in the discussion?
• Floss dentures as part of daily cleaning.
• Wipe dentures before storing them in a dry container at night.
• Wrap gloved fingers with gauze to remove dentures.
• Use a washcloth to clean the denture surfaces. [Show Less]