Sophia - Human Biology - Unit 5 Milestone 5
Which type of pancreatic cells help to lower blood sugar?
• Delta cells
• Beta cells
• Alpha... [Show More] cells
• Gamma cells
After fertilization, the newly formed zygote begins to divide into multiple cells through a process called __________.
Fertilization and Early Development
Which step(s) of urine formation is important to maintain the body's acid-base balance?
• Filtration and reabsorption
Which of the following statements about aging is true?
• As a woman ages, she enters andropause and can no longer reproduce.
• Signs of aging may include changes in your skin, height, muscle mass, bones and organ function.
• The way in which you age is completely dictated by your lifestyle.
• All of these statements are correct.
Effects of Aging on Your Body
Which layer of the digestive tract contains blood vessels and nerve cells?
The Alimentary Canal
Which segment of the small intestine connects to the large intestine?
Select the correct route of sperm once they are produced.
• Penis → Testes → Urethra → Epididymis → Ejaculatory duct → Vas deferens
• Testes → Penis → Epididymis → Urethra → Vas deferens → Ejaculatory duct
• Testes → Epididymis → Vas deferens → Ejaculatory duct → Urethra → Penis
• Penis → Urethra → Ejaculatory duct → Vas deferens → Epididymis →Testes
Male Reproductive System
An individual's blood volume and blood pressure decrease.
Which of the following will be the body's response to maintain homeostasis and increase the blood volume and blood pressure?
• ADH is released, the kidneys conserve water, urine becomes concentrated
• ADH is released, the kidneys conserve water, the urine becomes more diluted
• ADH is released, less water is reabsorbed, the urine becomes more concentrated
• ADH is released, less water is reabsorbed, the urine becomes more diluted
Fluid Balance and Blood Pressure
Which type of digestion occurs in the stomach?
• Neither mechanical nor chemical
• Both mechanical and chemical
Which of these can be concluded from an 8-week-old embryo?
• It is a female.
• It is prone to obesity.
• It has brown hair.
• It has attached earlobes.
Embryonic and Fetal Development
Which of the following best describes blood pH when homeostasis is maintained?
• Slightly basic
• Heavily acidic
• Slightly acidic
Which part of the large intestine absorbs water?
• Descending colon
• All parts absorb water
• Transverse colon
• Ascending colon
Which of the following is most likely the cause of Graves' disease?
• Lower than normal levels of parathyroid hormone in the blood
• Higher than normal levels of parathyroid hormone in the blood
• Lower than normal levels of thyroid hormones in the blood
• Higher than normal levels of thyroid hormones in the blood
Thyroid and Parathyroid
In which stage of labor is the placenta expelled from the uterus?
Labor and Birth
Which organ processes and stores nutrients from the digestive system?
• All three
Pancreas, Gallbladder, & Liver
Where does digestion begin?
• The mouth
• The small intestine
• The stomach
• The large intestine
Which of the following statements about steroid hormones is true?
• They are lipids that enter the cell and bind to receptors on the nucleus.
• They are proteins that bind to receptors on the plasma membrane.
• They are lipids that bind to receptors on the plasma membrane.
• They are proteins that enter the cell and bind to receptors on the nucleus.
Steroid and Non-Steroid Hormones
The developing child is surrounded by a fluid filled sac called the __________.
• Yolk sac
Which organ of the endocrine system is part of the brain?
• Adrenal gland
• Parathyroid gland
• Pineal gland
Organs of the Endocrine System
Which part of the kidney does the actual filtering of the blood?
• Renal medulla
• Renal cortex
• Renal pelvis
Which type of cells are responsible for the growth of facial hair and the deepening of the voice in males during puberty?
• Leydig cells
• Schwann cells
• Sertoli cells
• Stem cells
Which of the following is an agent of chemical digestion in the mouth?
• Salivary amylase
Chewing and Swallowing
What is the outer part of the adrenal gland called?
• Adrenal medulla
• Adrenal body
• Adrenal dermis
• Adrenal cortex
What is produced by the ovaries?
• Granulosa cells
Female Reproductive System
Before an oocyte leaves the ovary, it is surrounded by nourishing cells and is called what?
• A zona pellucida
• A follicle
• A menarche
• An oviduct
Ovarian Cycle and Menstrual Cycle
Which of the following statements is true?
• The pituitary gland is an organ of the endocrine system that secretes the hormone melatonin.
• Insulin is an example of a hormone that is released by the adrenal glands.
• Hormones, which are secreted by the endocrine system, help regulate homeostasis in the body.
• Hormones are generalized and can have an effect on any cell in the body.
Endocrine System [Show Less]